Use Firefox (3 or newer) or Google Chrome for best results. Do not use older versions of Firefox for editing your site as the Liferay Portal system application will not work correctly.
NOTE: There is no spell checker on the Web site. The Google Toolbar add-in for Firefox provides a spell checker that you can use while creating your content in the Web portal system. For installation instructions and online help go to http://toolbar.google.com/.
Liferay 5.2 Documentation
Web Content Management Basics (PDF 582KB)
- changed instructions for updating the Page Title
- includes complete information for uploading files
Libraries (PDF 359KB)
- upload and manage content in the Journal Article Library, Image Library, or Document Library
Creating links within the Web page (PDF 153KB)
Personal Page - Basic Settings & Content (PDF 151KB)
- instructions for faculty on entering Expertise, Teaching, Research, and/or Outreach information that will be displayed on the faculty page and on a unit directory page or a website Expertise Directory page
Personal Page - Web Content Management (PDF 269KB)
- use the editor in Liferay to add any Web content you have (text, images, PDFs, etc.) to your page
Person Directory (PDF 210KB)
- use this portlet to create a departmental list of people
Expertise Directory (PDF 227KB)
- use this portlet to create a searchable listing of faculty and/or staff associated with a specific topic such as water or food
Creating a Simple Web Form (PDF 159KB)
- instructions and tips for using the Web Form for collecting responses
Multimedia Options (PDF 135KB)
- instructions for the Image Rotator, Video Player, and Splash Display portlets
Use UNL WDN Text Styles (PDF 33KB)
UNL Theme Management Settings (PDF 389KB)
- customize (or complete) 5 parts of the UNL template
Change Your Liferay Password (PDF 51KB)
Resolve Edit display problem by clearing the browser temporary storage
Mozilla Firefox 4.0 - 9.0 instructions (PDF 194KB)
Mozilla Firefox 3.6 instructions (PDF 205KB)
Internet Explorer 9 instructions (PDF 176KB)
Internet Explorer 8 instructions (PDF 180KB)
WARNING about pasting text from another source
Whether you paste text from Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, Lotus Notes email, another Web page, or other source, always use the Paste as Plain Text option or you will have problems with the display of your content. You will use the features in the editor to format your text. Please see the "Web Content Management Basics" instructions for more details.
The previous information on "Caution about using Microsoft Word to compose content" was NOT correct. Creating a "Plain text" file in Word and copying content from a text file directly into the Liferay editor WILL include Microsoft coding and cause display problems.
Create PDF files with Microsoft Office 2007 (PDF 74KB)
Create PDF files with WordPerfect (PDF 47KB)
Optimizing PDF files with Adobe Acrobat Professional (PDF 174KB)
Before you upload a video to YouTube (or other media file server) to be linked to, please read EdMedia's Producing Professional Videos guide. It includes information on University Requirements, UNL Extension stingers information, and technical specifications guidelines.
Using the UNL Events System
This system is separate from the Liferay CMS and requires a separate login. If you need an account setup within the UNL Events system to manage a calendar, please contact Linda Tempel (email@example.com).
UNL Event System Training Webinar - November 2011
(opens in new window)
This session was recorded for UNL Beef team, but is applicable for all users of the UNL Event System.
• Basics for creating an event (0:00 - 20:40)
• Updating or deleting an event (20:41 - 24:15)
• Sharing an event with the Recommend feature (24:16 - 31:00)
• Archive, multi-day events, searching and other features (31:01 - 44:00)
• Question and Answer time (44:01 - 50:30)
• Team discussions (50:31 - 56:53)
The UNL Event System is an open source project built by the UNL Web Developer Network.